Black Bean and Pepper Jack Tostadas by EveryPlate
What You Need:
1 tsp Garlic
2 Flour Tortillas
1 can Black Beans
1 tsp Southwest Spice (mixture of garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder)
1 Cup Veggie Stock Concentrate
1 Cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
1 Roma Tomato
1 Red Onion
¼ Cup Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 tsp Cooking Oil
1 TBSP Butter
1. Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. Dice tomato. Halve, peel, and thickly slice onion; finely chop a few slices until you have 2 TBSP. Quarter lime. Finely chop jalapeno, removing ribs and seeds for less heat. Peel and finely chop garlic.
2. In a small bowl, combine tomato, chopped onion, a big squeeze of lime juice, and as much jalapeno as you’d like. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, ¼ tsp Southwest Spice, and a squeeze of lime juice. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzly consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a drizzle of oil and 1 TBSP butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and slightly softened, 4-6 minutes. Stir in garlic and remaining Southwest Spice; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
4. Stir in beans and their liquid, stock concentrate, and ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally and mashing with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, until mixture is thick and creamy, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat.
5. Drizzle tortillas with 1 TBSP oil; brush or rub to coat all over. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Gently prick each tortilla with a fork in a few places. Bake on top rack, flipping halfway through, until lightly golden, 4-5 minutes per side.
6. Carefully spread tortillas with bean mixture, then top with cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts, 2-3 minutes. Divide tostadas between plates; drizzle with crema and top with spicy pico de gallo. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.